The Bicycle Fitter bicycle fitting service is the most comprehensive in the southeast United States, with over 1,100 documented professional fittings forming a foundation of true expertise. The bicycle fitting methods we use were pioneered 30 years ago at Serotta's Fit School, perfected over decades by the Serotta International Cycling Institute and are now the proven professional standard for fitting bikes to riders. These completely personalized fitting techniques examine where you are now as a cyclist and where you would like to be in the future.
Since every cyclist's body is different, no single fit suits everyone - there is no one fitting "answer" that translates to every cyclist. This is the single most important aspect of the personalized fitting process. Our goal is to fully accommodate your personal physical characteristics, past injuries and physical limitations you have into your new fit and make your cycling experience better than ever. We do not perform any superficial 'quick fits', these quick fits are full of compromise, don't give the fitter a complete picture, and rarely have a positive result for riders being fit this way.
Often, a rigid position is prescribed for every cyclist regardless of their fitness, flexibility, or reason for riding a bike. An objective look at you as the cyclist you are today, combined with your future goals will guide the fitting process to find your personal best position on the bike. The outcome of your fitting will leave you more educated about yourself as an athlete and equip you with tools that will allow you to grow into a better cyclist and to have more fun every time you ride.
The Cycling Interview includes:
The Physical Assessment covers:
- why you ride a bike
- past injuries that affect the way you ride
- what your body is doing all day
- any current problems or discomfort you are having
- what you are looking to get out of your fitting session
Your time on the SizeCycle begins at an initial position based on the data collected in the proceeding steps.
- multiple static body measurements
- a dynamic diagnosis of your feet
- flexibility testing with a calibrated medical device
- hands on demonstration in the theory of a neutral spine position as it relates to human athleticism
Throughout your time pedaling the SizeCycle I look for particular angles in your ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, and wrists. We manipulate all dimensional variables on the SizeCycle and we work together to find your most bio-mechanically efficient and comfortable fit. The result will be a position on the bike that is uniquely yours - fully comfortable, powerful, and relaxed.
You will warm up for a short period of time and then the fitting process begins.
First we will work on your foot position, focusing on the cleat placement and knee tracking.
Secondly the saddle position is manipulated, first the saddle height followed by the saddle fore and aft.
Lastly the handlebar height and reach is adjusted to maximize your ability to breath well, produce power, and see where you are going while riding.
When we are happy with the outcome I will go over a final checklist with you to confirm our success:
Your final fitting documentation contains around 105 data points. Referencing these points your current bike can be changed to reflect your new fit, or a new custom bicycle can be produced to your precise requirements.
- are you able to reach your jersey pockets for food or maps?
- can you take in a full, deep breath in all hand positions?
- do you feel the weight distribution between the handlebars and saddle are equal?
- can you see where you are going while in the drops?
- can you pedal at a high cadence without rocking around?
Fittings are available by appointment, including some evenings and weekends.
- Click here to send me an email regarding an appointment
- Call me to make an appointment : 615-497-2777